Sunday, April 06, 2008

Quispiam Novus 2008: The start of something new...or the end of it all?

(pictures to be added)

its over. QUISPIAM NOVUS 2008, there's no way we can go back.

All the months of preparations; practicing for hours after school, waking up early on saturdays and so on.

It was our very own concert, and it belonged to nobody else but AHSChoir. not a guest performer, and no guest performances in our concert.



I remember the very moment where the crew opened the stage doors; light flooded into the dark backstage and all we could hear were screams and applauses. It felt so great, and so scary at the same time. I looked at the tiny screens at my side, it was almost a full house. Lined up in our concert row positions, we hugged and gave each other words of assurance. We worked so hard for this night, we can definitely do it!

Cornelius went up and started to do the introductions, so we took the cue and row by row, we filtered onto the stage. We were probably specks of red and black from the audience, they too were just tiny spots on the bright red chairs but it didn't matter. They were focusing on us and us alone, the sense of nervousness was still there though it wasn't as bad as i've imagined.

Mr Toh entered with an assuring expression, the audience screaming out his name and ours. Wow, i thought. here we go.



The overall performance for our static songs was great to most audiences!. We wasn't at our very best though we've REALLY tried our best, because nothing could be done about SCH's bad acoustics. We were very rushed in some songs and went very sharp too, it being more evident in Illay. But speaking in general terms, I thought it was pretty good, considering how we've almost ignored those pieces for so long.

The morning practice had been wonderful, perhaps we've been worrying too much about the Musical that we completely ignored the static songs. NONETHELESS, WE'VE PULLED IT OFF WITH NOT TOO MUCH MISTAKES (i think) and out of the corner of my eye, I observed that only a minority looked uninterested. That's good.

Actually, my opinions on the songs aren't too accurate. I was singing on stage, afterall.



The first piece, sunshine everywhere, didn't have as much dynamics but it was still fine in overall. I don't mind those cheesy lyrics, its has already become one of my favourite songs. People listen to the melody and not so much of the lyrics don't they? zhe er dao chu dou shi yang guang...

Shepherdess was alright, it has always been one of our better songs, right? The piece itself has been wonderfully arranged and i hope the audience loved it as well.


The three sacred pieces..i really don't know what comments to give on it. Good? bad? i have no idea for those but I don't think it went too sharp. At least I could reach the notes. There were one or two pauses in some song (i can't remember which) but it was very short so i hoped most of the audience didn't notice ;] Credo remains as my favourite song of all the ralph hoffman pieces. I'll give anything to sing it with the choir again.


For Ubicaritas and Prayer of Francis, it was conducted by marcus and accompanied by jesse. Ubicaritas gives you that very warm feeling doesn't it? it isn't the type of song where there can be easily screwed up parts unlike credo (on second thoughts I think we did fine for credo too. i think.). Ubi caritas always sounds nice no matter what, imo. I love that song what do you think.

The crowd gave some great response when cornelius said Liu's doing the solo hahaha. I was really afraid we'd forget the lyrics like we did a few days ago, but we didn't ^_^He did well and we managed to do it. I'll miss singing these songs.


I guess our phillipino songs were the highlight of the first half since it sounded more energetic and engaging. Its volume and more volume and mr toh says we're better at these songs. We all agree, don't we? :D Went sharrrppp in the songs though.

Chua ay sounded pretty nice, I suddenly thought of the images that Yingjun's described in the middle of the performance. Christopher totally got the crowd's full attention with his solo LOL. Nobody else in the school can go as high seriously, and it wasn't screechy at all. For me, it sounded just like what we normally do in practices. oei oei oei!

Dumbelle started off with a very rushed choreo so mrtoh tried to give us the pace with his conducting. I think it managed to slow us down by abit! There were a few mistakes here and there but we were armed with choreo so the song was still tremendously well received, where many people started screaming and shouting for us. That feeling...it was just so great I had to smile.
Our voices echoed through the halls i could hear it!

Illay is a powerful song aye! We got very excited i suppose so we went really sharrrpp. I couldn't reach the last few notes at all so i could only open my mouth just for the sake of it. Nonetheless, the song was generally okay even if the high notes didn't sound as pleasant like what my friends said. Well, as long as the starting and middle's good!




That marks the end of the first half of the concert. We cheered as we walked towards the backstage. One down, another more to go!

__________________________________________________



With only 20 minutes in our hands, everybody scurried off to get changed and prepare for the High School Musical. There wasn't any time for the toilet, just enough for us to squirm out of the choir costume and put on the hsm ones. We got so flustered and panicked when we heard the bell. Luckily, we made it on time. I've definitely improved on my speed changing aye!



What can I say, High School Musical was fantastic!

well, besides the fact that the band was too loud, the audiences could not hear us in status quo and we're all in this together. those actually were big problems, but the rest....WERE ABSOLUTELY GREAT!


CONGRATULATIONS TO LIMYING AND KAYAT!

the first comment everybody gave about HSM was : I think Sharpay and Ryan were REALLY REALLY GOOD!

i think so too! both of them have always been superb in their acting, singing and dancing. They've made everything so entertaining yeah!


I think elissa's voice sounds exactly like gabriella's! NICE JOB TOO! :D


There were some parts in other scenes where the mics weren't turned on, technical errors not within our control, so yup.



I surprisingly didn't get nervous at all for the audition scene, i really don't know why! The audience's reactions were SO FUNNY. they kept laughing and clapping for EVERY SINGLE THING!

I think everybody did exceptionally well for the audition scene, thanks to the audience maybe! they made me feel so relaxed ^_^

Or maybe because my role was so easy to play, pretending to get stage fright is easy cause... i don't have to remember how to act properly even IF i HAD a stagefright! hahahaha! O: Didn't really hear how the audiences' reactions were like cause i was busy running back to the risers haha.

Leongying i think you did super well! That was like seriously out of tune especially the break voice part! There wasn't anything to worry about aye! Cheryl and bella were so super funny because they exaggerated their emo play and even wore weird costume! xD It was seriously hilarious! Jason's suit and acting gave the audience a good laugh and then they cheered for christopher when he hit the high notes and strutted off haahhaha! that was damn cool GOGOGO!



They said the dance for status quo was good, except that the audience couldn't hear us at all D: SCH's acoustics really suck, the band was abit too loud too so our voices were totally drained ):
Ahh you know what I miss my status quo group! Pam Ly Ada joshua and daniel! AHH the super cute juniorrssss!

Acting was great as well, my friends enjoyed the cheerleading parts too! Got high when we SCREAMED as we RAN TOWARDS THE STAGE for breaking free! that was fun! :D i miss my breaking free partners too! eliz, riane, yufan, belinda! ooh we're breaking freeee....


Jumped around during we're all in this together and danced yay! HIGHHH! got even more high during the role calls! :D i screamed my lungs out, who cares if I lost my voice! chia and elissa were linking arms, marcus danced his zhaopai gay thing, jemimah acted like her character, Limying and kayat danced abit! when it was mrtoh's turn, we screamed super super loud! WE LOVE MR TOH! :D :D he's like the greatest conductor YAY!

I thought the introduction (whatever you call that) to the band and piano was DAMN COOL! screamed for the band and shouted and screamed for jesse our pianist! Riane and i started to hug each other cause we were overjoyed and so did everyone else!

It was so super cool and the audiences were like ENCORE ENCORE ENCORE ENCORE! I burst out laughing when meixuan and kayat said "everything has to come to an end" and the audience went something like booooo, but towards the end of the speech, they said "as a present to all of you, let us bring you...ahschoir's we're all in this together!" *drum starts* and everybody started to say YAYYYY!




after the encore we jumped to the backstage and we were OVERJOYED! jumped around like mad monkeys and said "WE DID IT! WE DID IT!" "WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHERR!"


that moment, it was unforgettable.




_______________________________________________________


i started to get calls on my handphones and people were asking EMMA WHERE ARE YOU?!? sorry guys for taking so long, we had to take group photo! it was taken like how we did after AHSCHOIR'S GOLD WITH HONOURS! all the weird signs and all xDDDD


packed everything and finally got to my dearfriends!
[PICTURES LATER]

THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO GOT ME FLOWERS AND CARDS!

ANNIA ASHLEY KAIYING SIYUN!
TERIE!
SHEENA!
FELICA LIM!
FELICIA LIN!
YINGZHI!
CAROL AND RAYMOND!


and the SMSes AND HUGS AND HANDSHAKES TOOOO!

i'll write my messages to you guys after i upload the pictures! :D


my thankyou list shall come soon!


Riane: get well soon! I'M SO GLAD YOU MANAGED TO COME, I'M REALLY SO SO SO GLAD! :D <33

Peixuan and Qian yu you've got special mention! I'll really dedicated a post to you guys soon! LOVE YOU ALL TO BITS AND PIECES! <33>

Looanqi, lets go to the botanical gardens one day! :DDDD


Peixuan, Qianyu, Anqi, Tingwei, Yingjun, Eliz, Ada, Junyao, Yufan, Chaichin, Jiaye, Shuqing, Fedora, Danica, Shijia, Ashley, Joshua, Denise, Sharmaine, Belinda, Cheryline, Daniel

I'll miss you sop juniors so much, so so so so so so so much.





[there'll be MORE!]



went home with siyun, ashley, annia, kaiying! <3333
siyun's daddy fetched us to the mrt, and i saw the seniors there! they gave my O: face but i didn't know how to react hahaha ohwell.

hey you guys, you're my greatest bunch of friends, ever. Even though i've been running around and sorta didn't talk to you all right after the concert, you have to know how touched i felt when you guys crowded around me, screamed and hugged me the moment i came out! i felt so loved then, really. Nobody can replace all of you! ^_^

Talked about the concert on the way back hahahah! i got so exhuasted when i reached home and fell asleep at around 2!






I dont have much time left, i'll blog about it in detail when i upload the pictures tomorrow!



That, was the end of our concert. AHSCHOIR'S CONCERT. quispiam novus 2008. the night we've all been looking forward to. The secfours' last performance with them.

I LOVE AHS CHOIR ALOT!!

No comments: